Liberate your Laser Cutter to use better software, variable power for full grayscale engraving, and Z Table/ Rotary capability. The all-new Cohesion3D LaserBoard can be dropped into the K40 Laser Cutter provide an immediate performance upgrade. It has the same size, mounting hole pattern, and connectors of the M2Nano board in a lot of the K40-style lasers, but it can also run many other Laser Cutters and even CNC Machines. This kit comes with the required power supply!
Check out our new high quality Rotary Attachment to engrave bottles, pens, flashlights, and more! Cohesion3D Rotary
Liberate your Laser Cutter to use better software, variable power for full grayscale engraving, and Z Table/ Rotary capability.
The all-new Cohesion3D LaserBoard can be dropped into the K40 Laser Cutter provide an immediate performance upgrade. It has the same size, mounting hole pattern, and connectors of the M2Nano board in a lot of the K40-style lasers, but it can also run many other Laser Cutters and even CNC Machines.
LaserBoard has 4 embedded Trinamic Drivers that provide quiet and clean motion for the XY head AND a Z table AND a rotary attachment directly. If you need more current for larger motors, it is easy to connect an external stepper driver with our direct wiring solution. No firmware or configuration changes between the onboard and external drivers, it just works. You can even run them simultaneously.
LaserBoard requires more power than the weak 24v rail on a Laser Power Supply can provide, but with a DC Jack right on board and paired with the LaserBoard Power Supply option, you can ensure that the board is receiving a clean and stable source of power to run your machine and a Z table and Rotary attachment if you have them.
With a variety of outputs, LaserBoard can run CO2 lasers and diode lasers of many types. Between the built in drivers, and the ease of hooking up external drivers, and the buffered endstops, this board could even run some CNC’s.
(Screen is shown installed in a custom front panel a customer made, the panel is not included, you can make your own panel too!)
- 4 embedded Trinamic TMC2224 Drivers up to 1.2 amps: can drive most Nema 17 motors. Each driver has a header and a screw terminal for wide range of easy connectivity.
- Direct easy wiring of external stepper drivers for all axes XYZA with External Stepper Driver Cable Pack option.
- Jack for direct power in with LaserBoard Power Supply: a high quality 24v4a Adapter to reliably power the board (LaserBoard Power Supply is completely separate from and does not replace the Laser LPSU that drives a tube).
- 3 separate laser control mechanisms including an optoisolated “L” output for CO2 LPSU, a MOSFET to run some diode lasers, and a level shifted 5v TTL output for a variety of other devices.
- Direct Drop In for M2Nano and related boards and the popular flat ribbon cable in a lot of machines. Can replace Moshiboard by cutting a few wires in power plug and putting to screw terminals on the board.
- One additional output can control peripherals such as an air assist. Once again, a MOSFET and a 5v output can control a solenoid, relay, or fan, SSR, or other type of device.
- 6 endstop inputs allow both a min and max endstop for X, Y, and Z, and they are buffered to allow inductive probes at higher voltages to plug directly into the board.
- Full size SD Card Jack in easier to access location.
- Expansion header allows GLCD Adapter and GLCD Screen on Smoothie firmware.
- 32 bit LPC1769 Microcontroller running at 120Mhz, supports Smoothieware and GRBL-LPC Firmware.
- Runs gCode files, we recommend the amazing LightBurn Software (you just need the gCode version).
- Can select whether 4th onboard driver is unique (rotary) or slaved (such as for dual Y applications like on some CNC frames) with jumpers on board.
- Reset and Kill Button on board with header to connect external buttons.
Between the separate power supply, integrated board isolation, and an optoisolated laser fire “L” output, the board should resist the electrically dangerous environments inside cheaply made laser cutters (poor grounding, high voltages, noise). Of course, it is impossible to guard against all scenarios and stupidity – we are going for “resilient”, not “indestructible.” Reverse polarity, overvoltage, fiddling with wiring while the board is powered, and shorting stuff on the board while live, are all great ways to kill the board.
Installation instructions and documentation links are at cohesion3d.com/start
This board comes with forum support only, via our Cohesion3D Support Forum.
The Cohesion3D LaserBoard is a drop in upgrade for the M2Nano Board that is most popular in the low cost K40 Laser Cutter, but it is also possible to use the LaserBoard in a variety of other lasers on the market, home-built machines, and even CNC machines.
M2Nano Board and Derivatives
The M2Nano Board is the most common controller found in the K40’s shipping now/ purchased in the last few years and comes with LaserDRW Software.
Note the large power connector in the lower right corner has 4 pins.
M2Nano wiring variant that has individual wires for the X Motor, Y Motor, Endstops, and Power. COHESION3D LASERBOARD IS A DIRECT SWAP!
M2Nano wiring variant that has a flat ribbon cable (containing the X motor and both endstops) and separate Y Motor and Power Cables. COHESION3D LASERBOARD IS A DIRECT SWAP!
B1/ M1/ other board with 6 Pin Power Connector. Note that wiring should be similar to above variants, but there is a 6 pin large power plug instead of the expected 4 pin one.
Some minor rewiring will be required. This board may also be physically larger, so some mount modifications and/or new holes may be necessary to install the LaserBoard.
Moshi Board. Same as above 6 pin power plug, some other wires may have different connectors and require crimping to install the LaserBoard.
There are many other boards out there with similar wiring, and lots of other controllers out there. You can find more information here:
Feel free to post to our forum with pictures and details about your machine to discuss compatibility.