Expand your laser cutter capabilities with a high precision rotary attachment. Open up a world of possibilities to engrave round objects including glasses, bottles, pens, flashlights, and more!
Check out our announcement post for more in depth details: Cohesion3D Launching High Quality Rotary Attachment, In Stock Now!
The Cohesion3D Rotary was designed to fit inside the small K40 Laser Cutter but works in a wide variety of other laser systems. Compatibility details with various controllers are listed below.
The modular design allows for adjustability and expandability. Tool-less adjustment is standard on all models, thumb screws allow you to move the idler system forward and back, up and down, and the wheels closer and farther apart.
Vertical extrusions have open end caps. Idler Plate can slide out the top and be flipped, allowing the idler wheels to cover the maximum range possible – everything from a thin pencil to the high neck of a wine bottle.
The rotary comes 99% Assembled – this is not a kit! Just line up the idler assembly onto the main rails and tighten 2 thumbscrews.
There are other rotary attachments on the market for a while now, that use lots of 3D Printed parts. All of the structural plates and wheels on our rotary are precision CNC machined from durable HDPE for precise, long lasting, operation. Small custom parts like the extrusion end caps and tension arm are 3D Printed from PETG, a tough plastic that will also resist higher temperatures than the more commonly used PLA.
The Rotary comes with Natural Aluminum Silver colored extrusions by default.. Upgrade to black extrusions with Etched Alignment Marks for a sleek all-black look. Tick marks spaced every 3mm help precisely align the sliding idler assembly. Marks are patterned 4 short followed by 4 long for easy position locating.
Small drive wheels are available to allow for larger items to be placed while still maintaining low profile that fits in the K40. Easily swap between the default large drive wheels and these small drive wheels – just unscrew one nut, slide the wheel off, put the new one on, and put the nut back on:
The tension arm holds small or lightweight objects to the drive wheels and minimizes slipping. It is great for pencils, pens, flashlights, and other small objects. Install it in seconds with 2 thumb screws – no tools required. It is able to hold cylindrical objects down to 4mm and is for use with the stock large drive wheels.
Base Model Cohesion3D Rotary with Natural Aluminum (Silver color) Extrusions. Will include stepper motor cable, hex key, and wrench:
Fully furnished Cohesion3D Rotary with black extrusions, small drive wheels, tension mount, and extra rings for all wheels:
- Plugs directly into Cohesion3D LaserBoard Motor Port A. Just modify a few settings on the board’s SD Card and you are rolling.
- On the Cohesion3D Mini, you will need additional peripherals to run the rotary. Please post to our forum for more information.
- On the stock K40 controller like the M2Nano and similar, can unplug the Y motor and plug the rotary in in its place. “If the motor spins, the rotary works” is the extent of support we can provide for this application. Same situation for other laser controllers that only have X and Y stepper drivers built in.
- For Ruida, Trocen AWC, and other DSP Controllers that use external stepper drivers, there are several options. You should have black box external stepper drivers for X and Y.
- If your laser uses Nema 17 stepper motors, you can unplug the Y motor from the Y black box stepper driver and plug the rotary motor directly into the Y stepper driver instead. Some lasers have a round “aviation connector” to assist with this. The “DSP Wiring Connectors” kit contains 4 pin terminal block and aviation connectors to be prepared for these options.
- If your laser has larger NEMA 23 steppers, Servo Motors, or 3 Phase, you will have to wire in a separate external stepper driver that uses the same STEP and DIR signals as the Y driver, and then switch between them. The “DSP External Stepper Driver with 3 Pin Terminal” kit contains an external stepper driver and an additional 3 pin terminal block that commonly connects on the DSP controller side.
- You will need wire in various sizes, tools, and the capability to work through this.
- For any other application/ controller, please post in our forum and we will be happy to assist you.
- Physical size – 100mm X 185mm X 360mm
- Maximum supported object length – around 250mm long with the idler plate on the back of the vertical beams.
- Stepper Motor – Nema 17 with 1 meter cable.
- Dual axial bearings on the drive wheels for concentricity and to constrain belt tension
- High quality bearings including ones with stainless steel balls on the idler wheels.
- Replaceable high grip silicone rings on the wheels minimize object slippage.
- All models include the 1 meter stepper motor cable and hex key and wrench to swap wheels.
- Comes 99% assembled, not a kit!
- 3 mounting points (look for the silver brackets near the large drive wheels and in the middle of the opposite end) can be used with M5 machines bolts or wood screws up to #10 (fasteners not included) to mount to the floor or to the table surface under the laser.
- Assembled in the USA by hand at Cohesion3D HQ.
- 100mm of clearance is required to clear the idler assembly, The K40 gantry will clear this. To maximize capability, the small drive wheel add-on will allow you to fit somewhat larger items inside the K40 than our stock larger drive wheel will allow. You may still need to cut the floor out of the K40 to fit even larger items.
- Using a rotary has a learning curve. Patience and the ability to work through problems calmly are important traits to have here, and in general will also serve you well in life.
- As with all Cohesion3D products, support is available through our community support forum at forum.cohesion3D.com